Workers’ compensation attorneys or known as workman’s comp attorneys play a significant role in helping workers in the court of law to pursue their compensation claims. Workers who understand their rights tend to seek compensation in case of work injury or poor working conditions.
The statistics show that over three million people are hurt at work every year, (according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)). The majority of these workers injured on duty rely on workers’ compensation for wage loss benefits and payment of medical expenses while they recover from their injury.
In cases where the injuries are minor or when you are off work only for a short period. Also when you do not have ant pre-existing conditions, and when the employer accepts that the injury happened at work, a workers compensation attorney in Houston may not be necessary.
There are instances where a worker should retain an attorney such as:
- When your workplace injuries are so severe, and the doctor thinks your health condition may not return to its original condition.
- Employers and workers’ comp insurers often tend to reject worker’s comp claims certain that the workers may not bother to appeal.
- When you feel you are not getting enough benefits and think you might have better considerations.
- In case of disabilities due to the workplace injuries and you think you might not be able to work on a daily routine in any other job.
- When you have little knowledge on the workers’ comp process and would feel more comfortable if your interests are represented by an expert.
- When your employer responds negatively on your claim by, sacking you, pay reduce and demoting you.
Roles of an attorney
A workman’s comp attorney makes sure that his client receives a maximum amount of compensation as allowed by the workman’s compensation act. Also, they assist their clients in getting timely medical attention and payments of medical bills.
Regarding a 2008 statistical study by the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Injured workers whose interests are represented by the workman’s comp attorneys receive a double amount of money as compared to the injured workers who don’t hire an attorney.
This is because a workman’s comp attorney understands the benefits an injured worker is entitled to. In accordance with the workman’s compensation act and with the provision of the law he can make sure the worker gets necessary medical attention and all benefits.
Also, workman’s comp attorneys can negotiate with the attorneys representing the employer for the best settlement policy.
In every compensation claim, a procedure is usually a consideration. The injured worker should follow the recommended steps like:
First, the worker should seek immediate medical treatment but not from your personal doctor or psychiatrist. Secondly he should report the injury to you immediate supervisor and inform him about the doctor’s recommendations. Thirdly, with all records of transportation costs and medical costs the worker seeks to be compensated by the company. If denied the compensation, then you should seek advice from workman’s comp attorneys. Most of the employees who seek to be compensated without the help of an attorney end up being frustrates by their employers.
The costs of retaining an attorney usually depend on the strength of the case and also a commission on the expected amounts of compensation. Also, other charges accounted for are: attorneys travel expenses, filing fees, costs of positions and costs for requesting medical records.